An environmental audit is a good way of measuring an organisation’s environmental impacts, and enables informed decisions to be made about managing those impacts.
Areas covered and benefits delivered
The environmental impacts covered by an audit may include:
- Carbon dioxide and other emissions
(Please note, if we have recently carried out carbon footprinting or an energy survey for you, this will reduce the amount of work and therefore the fee.)
The benefits of the audit include:
- Ensuring legislative compliance
- Reducing environmental impacts
- Reducing waste, water and energy costs (annual savings are typically greater than our fee for the audit)
- Improving relations with stakeholders
- Providing the foundation for an environmental management system (EMS) such as ISO 14001 at a later date
Types of audit
The Green Consultancy offers you three levels of audit and review. With each one, we provide a referenced report that includes statements of methodology and assumptions.
1: Basic audit
Impacts covered are:
- Energy use
- Carbon dioxide emissions (carbon footprint)
- Solid waste
- Water consumption
2: Intermediate audit
Impacts covered are as per the basic audit, plus:
- Transport and travel (commuting and business)
- Procurement (for example, raw materials, food and office consumables)
- Environmental policy and practices
3: Baseline review
This audit is more comprehensive and is compliant with ISO 7750 and 14001 standards. By complying with a recognised standard, this audit is a more satisfactory method of reporting to stakeholders, and provides the immediate or future starting point for an environmental management system (EMS).
A Baseline Review provides the following:
- An audit of all principle environmental impacts over which the organisation has control or influence
- A gap analysis of the changes required to improve the organisation’s existing environmental management procedures
- A Legal Compliance Register listing all regulations applicable to the organisation’s significant environmental impacts.
- An Environmental Aspects Register listing the organisation’s environmental aspects cross-referenced with the Legal Compliance Register. The Environmental Aspects Register uses a significance rating or score so that your organisation can determine which environmental aspects are significant and therefore must be managed to meet the chosen standard.
- Written procedures detailing how your organisation ensures that its Legal Compliance Register and Environmental Aspects Register are relevant and maintained, and how the assessment of the significance of the Environmental Aspects is carried out.
› Read more about our environmental auditing process
To discover how an environmental audit from The Green Consultancy can help your organisation reduce its environmental impact, call Michael Webb on 08450 176300, or email Michael@GreenConsultancy.com
The Green Consultancy and The British Standards Institute
The Green Consultancy is an associate consultancy of The British Standards Institute (BSI) and provides consultancy support, training and monitoring on all energy and environmental management system standards and all energy/carbon reduction standards – such as ISO 14001, BS8555, ISO 50001, BSI Energy Reduction Verification Kitemark and the Carbon Trust Standard.
Environmental Audits for University of Bedfordshire
“The objective was to gain points in the Green League section applicable to comprehensive environmental auditing, and TGC’s reports were successful in achieving those points. I was very impressed with your consultant’s knowledge of waste matters and environmental management systems and would not hesitate to recommend TGC to other organisations.”
Adam Higgin, Energy & Environment Manager
ISO 14001 work for Daily Mail and General Trust
"I would have no hesitation in recommending The Green Consultancy as the quality of their consultant’s work in guiding us towards ISO 14001 accreditation has been excellent."
Paul Phelan, Head of Facilities, London Headquarters
See case history of our work for DMGT