Environmental management systems (EMS)
Environmental impact management is vital to any well-run organisation. The most effective way to manage environmental impacts is using a recognised environmental management system (EMS). From informed advice, to practical assistance and staff training, The Green Consultancy can provide you with the support you need in this increasingly important area.
The case for an effective EMS
More and more organisations are awakening to the role an environmental management system can play, and the benefits it can deliver. Key considerations include the following:
- Purchasing decisions (ie by your clients of your services) often require an assessment of environmental performance
- Poorly managed environmental impacts have significant cost implications
- Legal compliance requirements are tightening
- Environmental impact management is a key aspect of corporate social responsibility.
An effective environmental management system provides a transparent, accountable management framework with measured outputs and targets. It will identify management responsibilities and roles, ensure legislative compliance, achieve cost control and reduction – and, importantly, meet stakeholder aspirations and requirements.
Our EMS services
We can advise on three of the most common and widely recognised systems:
- ISO 14001 Environmental Management System Standard
- Eco-Management and Audit Scheme (EMAS)
- BS 8555 Phased Implementation of an Environmental Management System
The Green Consultancy is highly experienced in this area, and offers a flexible range of EMS services. We can:
- Advise on the best EMS solution for you
- Carry out a gap analysis to identify what needs to be done
- Carry out an environmental audit or review
- Help to build a new EMS or upgrade an existing one
- Train or mentor staff and internal auditors
- Up-skill ISO 9001 auditors to ISO 14001
- Provide advice and support for the energy management standard ISO 50001
If you’d like to know more about environmental management systems and how we can help you with yours, call Michael Webb on 08450 176300, or email Michael@GreenConsultancy.com
The Green Consultancy and The British Standards Institute
The Green Consultancy is an associate consultancy of The British Standards Institute (BSI) and provides consultancy support, training and monitoring on all energy and environmental management system standards and all energy/carbon reduction standards – such as ISO 14001, BS8555, ISO 50001, BSI Energy Reduction Verification Kitemark and the Carbon Trust Standard.
ISO 14001 work for Daily Mail and General Trust
"I would have no hesitation in recommending The Green Consultancy as the quality of their consultant’s work in guiding us towards ISO 14001 accreditation has been excellent."
Paul Phelan, Head of Facilities, London Headquarters
See case history of our work for DMGT
Environmental Audits for University of Bedfordshire
“The objective was to gain points in the Green League section applicable to comprehensive environmental auditing, and TGC’s reports were successful in achieving those points. I was very impressed with your consultant’s knowledge of waste matters and environmental management systems and would not hesitate to recommend TGC to other organisations.”
Adam Higgin, Energy & Environment Manager